Slice #23 -- The Garden Shovel


I am a member of our local art museum.  They send out emails titled Object of the Day linking to pieces in the museum and providing some info.  It's nice, and what I will imitate during the Slice of Life challenge for 2024.  Each day, I am highlighting an object used in my daily life and generating a piece of art to accompany my writing by using the AI program, Adobe Firefly.

Today... my indestructible little garden shovel.

Once there's a bit more sun in the sky, I'll head to the community garden.  I haven't set eyes on our beds since October, and it's exciting to think that they'll be back in our routine for some time.  I've already planted bok choy and cabbages in the beds at home and they seem to be doing well, but I'm behind on my potato planting!  Our local sale had a line a mile long this year, so I went home and placed an online order that just showed up yesterday.  I'm sure a week won't do much harm.

Potatoes aren't my favorite food, but they are certainly one of my favorite things to grow.  All gardening seems a bit magical, but potatoes in particular.  You put one in the dirt and basically do nothing for months but wait... then, you dig and dig to find they basically multiplied.  Delightful.

Can't wait to get my tiny little shovel in there to loosen up the dirt and get the growing season going.  Happy Saturday, friends!


Comments

  1. I like how you incorporate an object of the day for inspiration in your slice. I’m intrigued by the AI generated art. Your slice about the vegetables in your garden is a great start to the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardener's question time: when do you plant and when do you harvest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a perpetual problem in that we plant them in growing bags in April, as advised - they do great and evidently are growing and flourishing. But we are often away for large portions of June and July and rely on automatic sprinklers to water our outdoor plants. We come back from out travels and the potato plants look good still - lots of foliage above ground, but when we harvest in September that potatoes have either rotted or are just measly in size. It's an annual ritual of heartbreak. (Seems like the St. Louis humidity plus our overwatering is at the heart of the problem).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plant in March around St. Patty's Day and harvest in late May or early June. Maybe go early this year?

      Delete
  4. It is so cold here today that I cannot imagine planting potatoes, but it's close to Good Friday so that makes sense. Enjoy the dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gardner post for sure! I love the idea of gardening and planting seeds is my favorite part. I started snow peas two weeks ago. I am confident, however, they washed away in the 5 inches of rain we had today. YET, I will replant and try again. I will watch them grow if I am lucky. I will eat them if I am lucky to beat the deer to them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts