A Eulogy for Uncle Ronnie, SOL#26


My uncle died the day after Thanksgiving.  His girlfriend buried his ashes near her in Costa Rica.  Tonight, I'm going to dinner with all of my cousins.  I'm hoping we will toast, laugh, and share stories.  Something that I wanted to do months ago and am so grateful will finally happen.  A little something to honor his memory.  Since I couldn't say goodbye or get to where he is, I've written a little eulogy that I hope makes it to his ears and heart.

Uncle Ronnie was my Mom's big brother.  During my lifetime, he lived in many different places and always out of state.  Even though I probably saw him the least, he was at the top of my list as uncles go.  He was adventurous, funny, thoughtful, and kind.

As a child, he would send me mail.  Some of my fondest memories are of using a typewriter to send him letters.  One package  he sent me from Florida included a Save the Manatees shirt... I didn't even know what a manatee was!  He seemed so worldly to my child mind and I couldn't believe he thought that I was special.  As an adult, I've picked up the habit of sending lots of mail including sending him postcards for many years.  I attribute my love of mail to him and am grateful for every kind gesture that came with a stamp.

Today, I was going through old pictures with the goal of grabbing a few to take and share with my cousins.  I came across a teeny square photo, and it reminded me that for many years I kept his tiny photo in a frame on my dresser.  I somehow forgot just how much he meant to me, and that was jarring.

I know there are many things I don't know about Ronald Curran, but I do know that he loved me and that any love in any lifetime is beautiful and worth celebrating.  Cheers to you, Ronnie.  I will miss you always.  

Comments

  1. This is evidence of how writing creates such a personal connection between people. I love the details about mail and postcards. Such a lovely tribute to your uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet and moving eulogy. He would be honored...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts