Slice #18, A Poem a Day...

I'm choosing to explore my identities this month, focusing on a different angle of me each day. 

Today, a slice on my poetry habits.

Just before the new year, I had a chance to see Billy Collins do a reading to promote his new book.  Part of the event was an interview, and he spoke about his time as poet laureate, including the Poetry 180 project.  I was familiar, but hadn't looked through the collection in some time.  

It gave me the idea for a 2023 resolution... to read a poem a day.  I bought both of his 180 books, and I've been reading one entry a day since the 1st of January.  It's not as moving as I expected.  Most don't speak to me the way I had hoped.  But today, a gem.

The bud
stands for all things,
even those things that don't flower,
for everything flowers, from within, of self-blessing
though sometimes it is necessary
to reteach a thing its loveliness,
to put a hand on its brow
of the flower
and retell it in words and in touch
it is lovely

-excerpt from St. Francis and the Sow, by Galway Kinnell

This one spoke to me.  I often need to be retaught things about myself, to be told I am lovely.  Which certainly means others do too.  I hope we all reach out to someone today and remind them of their loveliness.  



Comments

  1. I like this idea. Thanks for sharing the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this resource. The way Billy Collins explains his writing process is very accessible and resonated with me and I use his methods when i write. I like that you have committed to reading a poem a day. It will change you. I need to make the same effort. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely resolution and challenge - to reach out to someone and remind them of their loveliness. Thank you for inspiring me today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts