Slice #2, Writing Identity

 So... my post yesterday was about setting goals for writing.  I used the categories of motivation, time, and needs to talk about my goals for this month.  Hilariously, my time goal was to write first thing in the morning and here I am at 12:21.  My needs goal was to choose a 'theme' for this month's posts, and I did that!  I I thought about how I said so many people in my life don't even know that I do this challenge, and I got to thinking about just how many different identities I have.  I can say that I'm so excited to explore my different identities this month!  I've made a list of 30+ 'identities' such as teacher, wife, dog mom, etc. and plan to focus on a different side of me each day.  

Today, I'd like to share a slice of my writer life.  I teach a course for Gateway Writing Project called the Writing Institute.  During every class that we meet, we write together.  Today, a teacher brought in a list of 100 words and explained the One Word Prompt.  I couldn't choose just one, I chose nine that inspired me:  sunshine, nourish, empty, gratitude, beginning, promise, forgiveness, relax, discovery.  It seems pretty obvious what is on my mind.  My first line in response to this prompt was, I think I'm holding a grudge.  A good line I intend to expand on later as I explore some grudges against the weather, a handful of people in my life, and just maybe life in general.

Another beautiful thing that came from being in a writing community today is that writing groups reported back on their experiences reading books this year intended to build their writing identities.  They read:  Writing Down the Bones, The Right to Write, On Writing Well, Craft in the Real World, Write What Matters, etc. along with a few others.  To their surprise (but not mine), their books had a theme in common!  Write often, write honestly, and forget your inner critic.  To be in a room of adults that are having this 'a-ha moment' is a beautiful thing.  To be in a room of teachers that are beginning to take up a writing practice is one of the aspects that fuels who I am as a teacher and as a writer... building my own writing community.

Here are two gems I jotted down during presentations.  Write for Writing's sake.  Bask in the pleasure of language.  Today, my writer self has done both :)



Comments

  1. What fun to read about your writing identity! I must admit to being jealous of the writing communities you already have.
    Bask in the pleasure of language fits in well with our Spiritual Journey Thursday prompt. You are more than welcome to join us. You just link your post at Karen's site: https://kceastlund.blogspot.com/2023/03/words-we-fall-back-on.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts