Slice #25, Curator Extraordinaire

I'm choosing to explore my identities this month, focusing on a different angle of me each day.   

Today, a slice on being a curator of resources in education.

I've always collected stuff.  As a child, it was stuffed animals.  In adolescence, I kept a collection of pennies... one from each year of my life w/ the idea that you could pull a penny and I would tell you a story from that year.  I was a bit weird.  In adulthood, it's records.  

I didn't really use the word curate until I went to school for library science.  There was a lot of discussion around curating things, and it resonated with me.  I like the idea of not 'everything' but the really good things.  There are so many resources out there in the world for teachers.  It is time consuming to find them, sort through them, learn them, try them, etc.  I feel like I offer a great service to my colleagues by making curated collections.  

I also like that it is a living collection.  I started this LiveBinder a decade ago, and it looks dated compared to the Wakelet I work on these days.  Technology is constantly changing and keeping us on our toes.  Times have also obviously changed with post-covid teaching.  Today, I'm working on curating a collection of articles around the topics of teaching writing.  I have a set I've been using, but it just doesn't represent the current classroom.  

Wish me luck and send me recommendations!  


 

Comments

  1. OKAY! I just diigoed your Wakelet. Who knew I'd find such cool stuff this morning? (I almost wrote about the power of book talks and it's the first category!) And not to be judgey but where's Blonde on Blonde in your Dylan curation?! Just kidding—I am super-impressed. American Beauty is my go-to. Can you tell I'm a boomer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you reframe the idea of collecting into the idea of being a "curator". I also love how you take us from your childhood curating (what a cool idea for the pennies!) to your current curated collections. Seeing all the different identities you've been exploring has also been really interesting. When I first came across your blog, I thought, "I'd never be able to do that," because I couldn't think of many identities for myself. I love how your posts have been pushing me to expand my idea of the identities I carry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so much more organized than my paper folder of "Articles That Are Great" or my Google Drive swipe file! Curating resources is a great way to keep useful content right at your fingers (and shareable). Hyperlinking to them is much appreciated, and I ways appreciate a good meme to keep a blog post light 😜

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts