Slice #30, Patient Care

I'm choosing to explore my identities this month, focusing on a different angle of me each day.

Today, a slice on being a patient.

Every year, I go to the cardiologist (4 times), get a mammogram, visit the dentist (twice), get blood work, see the eye doctor, go to the gynecologist, and occasionally (for extra fun), I see a dermatologist.  Though, I see all of these doctors less than 1 hour every year (out of 8,760 hours), they play a pretty large role in my life.  I'd say hi to them in public, and we would know each other.  Isn't that strange?  ... not the saying hi, but that someone who knows you for such a fraction of who you are and sees you so little is super important in your life?

This week, one of my favorite podcasts (Maintenance Phase) made the remark that statistics like 'people who brush their teeth daily are _% more likely to live _ years longer' are misleading because really a combination of health habits are what lead to different health outcomes. 

What I'm trying to say is that even though I will dread going to the dentist today, I am grateful that I can afford so much healthcare in my life.  



Comments

  1. This is some high level adulting! I struggle to remember to make all those appointments, though I do try to take care of my health. Writing about being a patient is a good reminder to be grateful for good health and, yes, health insurance and the ability to afford healthcare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It shifts the frame so much when we step back and think about that privilege -- what a thing to have this kind of access and the chance to dread our twice-yearly visits! Hope all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the reminder to be grateful (rather than avoid) these privileges! Your line about saying hi in public made me realize I have “seeing a teacher out of school” syndrome—it’s never occurred to me that I might run into my gynecologist randomly in the wild!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts