Slice #6, Aunt Duty

I'm choosing to explore my identities this month, focusing on a different angle of me each day.    

Today, a slice on being an aunt.

Last weekend, Sydney turned thirteen.  I took her out to lunch to get sushi.  She adores it.  I think it's gross and ate tempura vegetables instead.  Yesterday, Troy turned 30.  I'm taking him to the Cardinals home opener in a few weeks.  He adores baseball, which I find quite boring... but, we will have many beers in common.  Next weekend, Violet turns one.  I could keep going.  I have six nieces and six nephews.  I've never been, nor will ever be, a mom.  I sure am one hell of an aunt though.

Peyton came over for dinner last Thursday.  She's 21 and has decided to move out into her first apartment with friends.  I easily planned and purchased items for a full year before I moved out.  She's moving this Friday and literally owns not one house item.  I could say it is mind blowing, but instead, in steps synchronicity.

My coworker is moving.  Downsizing from a family home of over 30 years to an apartment.  She had sent the text, 'free to friends' and I kind of laughed at it.  I'm a grown woman with a full house myself.  But guess who isn't?  Peyton.  Today, I watched my friend hand over a full set of dishes, silverware, pots, pans, lamps, tables, decor, and a bathroom set.  Kindness makes my day.

On the drive home, a podcast shared the quote, "The only way to predict the future is by creating."  I think my future is full of great times with these kids because I keep creating opportunities for us to spend time together and to take care of each other.  I'm creating relationships.  12!  How lucky am I?


 

Comments

  1. In my opinion an AUNT is one of the most important relationships one can have growing up, as an adult, and as a person. It's a non-parent confidant as well as someone who will try to grant your wishes. It is also how we learn to trust outside of our parents. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunts are a treasure. There are some years that parents just cannot tell young adults anything, but the wise aunts and uncles can still guide them! What a cool instance of being exactly the connection your niece needed at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you carve out something special to do with each of them (and how many different ages and stages of lives you’re experiencing through all of them). How lucky they all are to have you as an aunt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts