Slice #15 -- The Compost Bin

 


I am a member of our local art museum.  They send out emails titled Object of the Day linking to pieces in the museum and providing some info.  It's nice, and what I will imitate during the Slice of Life challenge for 2024.  Each day, I am highlighting an object used in my daily life and generating a piece of art to accompany my writing by using the AI program, Adobe Firefly.

Today...  the compost bin.

We have one of those giant blue barrels turned into a composting bin.  It sits on a stand that suspends it in the air... we can rotate it and such.  It's very efficient at making compost.  It lost its lid a few years back, but I kind of like that it is open because the squirrels get in there and eat the scraps sometimes.

I know many people find squirrels to be a nuisance, but I find them quite charming.  This morning is an example of such.  I gathered my bucket of scraps and watermelon from the fridge that would no longer entice my hubby.  I dumped it all in the top and started to pick up the few scraps the squirrels had scattered--avocado skin and such.  

And to my surprise! a melon plant is starting to shoot out of the ground.  It's just a baby, and I doubt it will get the sun it needs in this spot, but I love picturing the squirrels as little gardener, helper friends.  Sprouts of green this time of year brighten my day.  

Hoping everyone finds some green to admire today :)


Comments

  1. Your title drew me in as I am a big fan of compost! I was glad to read from a fellow enthusiast. But that photo- has to be created, yes?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. What a great item to write about. Composting is such a great idea. I live in the desert, so we feed some things to the squirrels and rabbits, and the city picks up the rest of our food waste for a municipal compost project, which is good it's not going in the landfill, at least. I like to think of the squirrels as little sowers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts