Slice #16 -- What a Bowl Can Do



I am a member of our local art museum.  They send out emails titled Object of the Day linking to pieces in the museum and providing some info.  It's nice, and what I will imitate during the Slice of Life challenge for 2024.  Each day, I am highlighting an object used in my daily life and generating a piece of art to accompany my writing by using the AI program, Adobe Firefly.

Today... bowls.

I wasn't quite sure what object to write about today.  So far, I've gone to a two hour outdoor yoga session and decorated a cake for a five year old's birthday.  The thing they have in common?  Bowls.  Stick with me.

One of my besties (we've been together for forty years) hosted a restorative yoga session today.  It was outdoors to honor the coming spring equinox.  Though it was chilly at forty degrees, I found myself quite warm in the sun.  The two hours passed quickly even though nearly half of the time was spent in corpse pose.  The instructors bathed us in sound... enter the sound bowl.  I don't know much about sound bowls;  I've only attended two sessions in my life where they've been used in this manner.  I do know it's an interesting experience and it made my day different.

Second big experience of the day so far is cake decorating.  It's something I don't consider myself great at, but do enjoy doing.  Another bestie (we've worked together closely for three years now) asked me to make a cake, so I've been surrounded by bowls of icing all morning.  Her son requested a sky cake topped with clouds and the Zelda sword coming out of the top.  To me it looks like a big old blob of icing, but she reassured me that large amounts of icing please children.   I'm hoping everyone will enjoy their 'slice' later at his party.

We see the metaphor to 'fill your cup' quite often.  I guess today mine just happens to be a much wider and shorter cup.  I have so much joy in my life, I just needed a bowl today.

Comments

  1. I have a colleague who begins our monthly meetings with a brief sound bowl or chime moment, and I'm right there with you. It definitely changes the atmosphere--I usually feel brighter and more open to discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts