Slice #17 -- The Record Player

 


I am a member of our local art museum.  They send out emails titled Object of the Day linking to pieces in the museum and providing some info.  It's nice, and what I will imitate during the Slice of Life challenge for 2024.  Each day, I am highlighting an object used in my daily life and generating a piece of art to accompany my writing by using the AI program, Adobe Firefly.

Today... our record player!

My husband and I each have our own little interests and collections, but if we collect one thing in common, it's records.  There's never been a point in my life where I didn't own a record player, and I think it something we bonded over early in our relationship.

When I have disposable income, it goes to records.  When I browse ebay, I'm looking at records.  If someone asks for a wish list, it includes records.  If you're a vinyl-head like me, you're welcome to browse our collection:  bit.ly/broschrecords  I like it when people tell me about their favorite albums, especially if I'm missing them in my collection.  I love finding new music!

Yesterday, I needed to pick up a book I ordered, and it just happened to be near the St. Louis gem of a record store, Vintage Vinyl!  I didn't buy anything vintage, but I snagged a copy of Santigold's newest album which has been on my wish list for some time.  When I added the title to our cute, little spreadsheet, I realized there are quite a few records I've neglected to spin for a while.  So, this morning, I spent some time curating a little collection I want to listen to this week.  I'm really looking forward to it!

I like to put on a record while I eat breakfast or cook dinner.  As much as I love the easy access to digital music these days, I find the algorythms can play the same songs over and over.  It's refreshing to listen to a full album of an artist you love.  I adore our record player and think it might be an object that brings a whole different vibe to our life.     

Even if you don't have a record player, I encourage you to try letting a full album play sometime this week... just for the experience :)


Comments

  1. Lovely slice about music. I will take you up on the advice to listen to an album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that vinyl albums and record players are fantastic. Unfortunately, I gave all of mine to my son because I'd given up my record player. I kind of want some of those vinyl albums back, but I'd never do that. I like the art idea and I'll have to borrow it as I work for the art center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing like listening to music on vinyl! I still have a record player but haven't used it in years. Thanks for the reminder to pull out some of those favorite LPs, close my eyes, and take a trip back to a simpler time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm envious! I've always wanted to be a record person, but we lost so many along the way in our moves that by the time I was an adult, a record player never fit in my life. It's pure bliss when I house/pet sit for someone and they have a player and collection. I love listening to an album all the way through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts